Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Crock Pot Potato Soup

I am a big fan of potato soup. I could eat it every day but that probably wouldn't be the best. I found a recipe on Pinterest making potato soup in the crock pot and I thought it sounded perfect! You don't use any cream of chicken soup or cream of potato...it's simple ingredients and it's delicious! My family loved it and we plan on making it more since it's getting nice and cool outside. This recipe is from Mama Loves Food with a few notes of my own.

Ingredients:
-5 pounds russet potatoes (I washed mine and peeled them because no one really cares for skin in my family, I know it's good for you so keep it on if your family likes it!) dice into 1/2 inch cubes
-1 medium, yellow onion, diced
-10 cloves of garlic, minced (I use garlic powder and put about 1 tbsp in instead)
-64 ounces chicken stock or broth (I buy fat free, low sodium)
-16 ounces cream cheese, softened (you can use low fat if you like)
-1 tbsp seasoning salt
Optional garnishes: crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, green onions

Directions:
1. Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning salt and chicken stock to slow cooker.
2. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
3. Add the softened cream cheese and purée the soup with an immersion blender (I don't have one so I divide the soup in half and put half the cream cheese in each and use a hand blender, then put it all back together and blend a little more. You may have a few more chunks doing it this way but it's till yummy!)
4. Stir well and top with your choice of garnish.
Yields about 10-12 servings

                                        

Enjoy!!




2 comments: